Chicken Tortilla Soup
***** Chicken Tortilla Soup *****
// Ingredients //
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 onion, peeled and chopped
1/2 red pepper, seeded and chopped
1/2 yellow onion, seeded and chopped
1 can Rotel
1 can black beans, drained
3 tablespoons tomato paste
3 cups cooked chicken breast, shredded
32 oz. chicken stock
2 cups hot water
// Instructions //
1. In a large stock pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add diced onion and cook until onions are translucent (about 5 minutes.)
2. Add red and yellow peppers and garlic and continue cooking over medium heat. (another 5 minutes).
3. Add Rotel (including juices) and shredded chicken to the pot. Then add cumin, chili powder, garlic powder and salt.
4. Add chicken broth, hot water and tomato paste. Stir and bring soup to a simmer.
5. Reduce heat to low and add drained black beans. Continue to cook soup over low for 10 minutes. Then garnish with sour cream, tortilla strips, avocado and cilantro.
*This soup is absolutely delicious (dare I say even better) the day after.
*Photography and styling by Amy Mikkelsen