*******Cherry Hand Pies ****************************
// Ingredients //
2 ready made pie crusts, thawed ( I love these Pillsbury pie crusts)
1 egg white
1/2 cup cherry preserves (I like Bonne Maman)
1 tbsp. water
2 tbsp. flour
2 tbsp. decorating sugar
// Instructions //
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Unwrap dough and lay flat on a clean surface. Sprinkle dough lightly with flour. Using a heart shaped cookie cutter, cut dough into several heart shapes. (You may have to roll out remaining dough) I got eight hearts using the two pie crusts.
3. Then, spoon 1 tbsp. of cherry preserves into the center of four hearts, being careful to keep the preserves in the center of the heart. Gently brush the edges of the preserved-filled hearts with water. Carefully place remaining hearts on top of preserves and press seams together with your finger.
4. Use a fork to make indentations around the edges of the pies.
5. Place hearts on baking sheet and lightly brush tops with egg whites. Sprinkle with decorating sugar.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
To make envelopes out of parchment paper, I used this simple online tutorial. I tied twine around them and am storing them in an airtight container until Sunday.