Barley, Arugula & Tomato Saute
Hello friends! Can you believe this is the last Monday in January? How are you doing on your resolutions and intentions so far? Some of you know that I'm a Weight Watchers member and have been so close (yet so far away) to making my goal for weeks now. Why are the last few pounds the hardest to lose? I'm really hoping to gain my lifetime status before my next birthday in March! (Fingers crossed)
Anyhow, each week they share recipes with us at our meetings and this one I just had to share with y'all. I've made this for my lunch as well as a side for dinner. The recipe has a lot of simple flavors but they combine really nicely. I had never cooked with barley before but it's quite easy, particularly if you buy the quick cooking kind. I hope y'all give it a try because it's become one of my go to favorites.
Recipe: Barley, Arugula and Tomato Saute (adapted from Weight Watchers)
1 cup barley, cooked
1 tbsp. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup halved grape tomatoes
2 cups arugula
1 tsp. lemon zest
salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook barley according to package instructions. ( I used fat free chicken stock in my recipe to add flavor!) Set aside.
2. In a large saute pan, heat olive oil over low heat. Add crushed garlic and saute very briefly (maybe 15 seconds) being careful not to burn.
3. Add grape tomatoes and saute for 1-2 minutes until juices release.
4. Add cooked barley to saute pan and combine.
5. Add arugula and toss for 1-2 minutes until the leaves have wilted down significantly in size.
6. Add lemon zest. ( Don't skip this because the lemon adds so much flavor!)
I added some feta cheese on mine as you can see in the photo above but that's completely optional.